Let the countdown to Thanksgiving begin! But first read these top five stories from Talentmgt.com for the week of Nov. 2.
1. Conflict? Talk it Out: Today's leaders must navigate intense and emotionally charged discussions with open, vibrant and direct communication.
2. 8 Workplace Practices That Scare Me: Blogger Aubrey Daniels lists the biggest practices in the workplace that terrify him. He thinks they should scare readers, too.
3. How Environment Shapes Behavior: Our environment does more than meets the eye in shaping how we behave in certain situations.
4. Alcohol Costs U.S. Billions in Lost Productivity | Video: The CDC reports that excess alcohol consumption leads to hefty losses in productivity. Editors Lauren Dixon and Frank Kalman discuss in this edition of Two Takes on Talent.
5. Strategic Supervisor Training: Boost Recruiting and Retention: In the second of three blog posts, Dan Campbell highlights best practices around coaching, training supervisors and focusing on positives.
In Other News …
Liberal arts students do indeed earn less money, reports The Wall Street Journal.
Also, some employers are recruiting on what they are calling a "name-blind" basis, but as the Economist reports, such nameless recruiting isn't easy.
Finally, tips for pitching your ideas to the CEO, from Business Insider.