This weekend marks the official last day of summer. Break in the new season with these top five stories from the week of Sept. 14.
1. Love or Lose Your Senior Talent: Older workers still bring value to the workplace. Use these strategies to keep them around.
2. 5 Skills Every HR Pro Needs: Today's talent managers need cutting-edge skills that drive innovation, develop talent and leadership, transform culture and enhance the bottom line.
3. Amazon: The Greatest Place You Hate to Work: Amazon's workplace culture has been under scrutiny. Blogger Aubrey Daniels discusses the CEO's flaws in handling the recent New York Times article.
4. Be A Master of Timing: As in life and talent management, timing is everything. Learn to be a master timer to get the most of your talent initiatives.
5. Learning to Fly: Boeing's AerosPACE Takes Flight: To mend a persistent skills gap among engineering graduates, aerospace manufacturer Boeing Co. developed a program to directly influence students' learning by getting its leaders involved in the classroom.
In Other News …
A California dispute over whether Uber drivers or independent contractors shows that decades-old labor laws don't work in the smartphone age, writes The New York Times.
Also, employers are experimenting with hiring that happens in a matter of days and sometimes hours, reports The Wall Street Journal.
Finally, comeback CEOs don't always work out, mostly because of environmental factors, not lack of skill, writes The New Yorker.