The official end to summer is nearing. So settle in with these top five stories from Talentmgt.com for the week of Sept. 7.
1. 5 Skills Every HR Pro Needs: Today's talent managers need cutting-edge skills that drive innovation, develop talent and leadership, transform culture and enhance the bottom line.
2. The Art of Negotiation: Talent managers need negotiation skills to compete in today's war for top talent. Here are some tips to consider.
3. Learning to Fly: Boeing's AerosPACE Takes Flight: To mend a persistent skills gap among engineering graduates, manufacturer Boeing Co. developed a program to directly influence students' learning by getting its leaders involved in the classroom.
4. Love or Lose Your Senior Talent: Older workers still bring value to the workplace. Use these strategies to keep them around.
5. Issues With Outsourcing: HR professional Laurie Ruettimann defends traditional, compliance-driven practices.
In Other News …
Why top fund managers want better HR, from The Wall Street Journal.
Also, what's the point of college, from The New Yorker.
Finally, how to read more than 100 books in a year, from Business Insider.