Sometimes employees call in sick when they're actually sick. And other times, employees call in sick when they are fine but simply don't feel like going to work.
Thanks to a recent survey from CareerBuilder, we now can laugh at some of the crazy and odd excuses employees in the latter camp have tried to use to avoid going to work.
About a quarter of employers have caught an employee faking sick on social media, according to the CareerBuilder survey, with some employers saying they've even fired someone for faking sick to miss work.
In the last year, 28 percent of employees have faked sick to avoid work, down from about 32 percent last year, the survey showed.
The survey by CareerBuilder polled 3,103 workers and 2,203 hiring managers from Aug. 11 to Sept. 5.
Survey respondents were asked to share the most dubious excuses employees have given for calling in sick.
And, of course, some of them are hilarious. Here are the highlights:
- Employee just put a casserole in the oven.
- Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some "tweaking" to get it just right.
- Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood, up she fell and broke her ankle.
- Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
- Employee woke up in a good mood and didn't want to ruin it.
- Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
- Employee got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn't get out.
- Employee had a gall stone they wanted to heal holistically.
- Employee caught their uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
Employee accidentally got on a plane.