Take a break Halloween costume shopping this weekend to read these to five stories from Talentmgt.com for the week of Oct. 20.
1. Getting Ahead of the "Silver Tsunami": The baby boomer retirement wave is imminent, prompting talent leaders to fend off the massive knowledge exodus by bolstering succession strategies.
2. HR Steps Up Its Game: Investment in studying, learning and practicing in the emerging way is helping the field remain relevant, writes columnist Jac Fitz-enz.
3. How Analytics Will Transform HR: People analytics has the potential to catapult human resources to the top of the business agenda, writes IBM’s Jonathan Ferrar.
4. How to Get Millennials to Work at Your Workplace | Video: Industries like construction and manufacturing are booming, but workers are lacking. Here’s how to get top millennial talent on board in your industry.
5. Three Promises for Workplace Happiness: Instead of letting others dump on you, make the active choice to pursue happiness at work, writes blogger Dan Bowling.
In Other News …
Critical thinking has become a highly sought-after skill in today's job market, but what exactly is it? And how do you teach it?
These are questions The Wall Street Journal tried to answer this week in its report on the topic. As the newspaper reports:
"Mentions of critical thinking in job postings have doubled since 2009, according to an analysis by career-search site Indeed.com. The site, which combs job ads from several sources, found last week that more than 21,000 health care and 6,700 management postings contained some reference to the skill."
Still, definitions and interpretations of the skill vary. Read more here.
Also, body language tips to help you at work, via Business Insider. Read here.