Decompress from the onslaught of trick-or-treaters with these top five stories from Talentmgt.com for the week of Oct. 28.
1. Five Components to Cultivate a Glass-Half-Full Attitude: Here are five mindsets individuals must adopt to find true engagement, writes Sebastian Bailey, president of Mind Gym Inc., a performance management firm.
2. Study Reveals Most Outrageous Excuses Workers Have When Calling in Sick: Among them: Employee’s false teeth flew out the window while driving down the highway and employee bit her tongue and couldn’t talk.
3. Capitalize on Candidate Potential: The best candidate for a job isn’t always the one with the most relevant industry experience but the one with “best athlete” qualities, writes recruitment blogger Matt Tovrog.
4. Shifting the Scales to Enable Innovation: Companies that take advantage of technology and allow employees to have a voice in their development plans will achieve more engagement and a reputation for innovation. Dave Marzo, vice president and general manager of talent solutions at executive recruiting company Korn/Ferry International, has more.
5. How to Deliver the Right Employee Experience: Technology can bolster talent management programs to create the social and collaborative workplaces employees and prospects desire and demand. Zach Thomas, vice president of HCM product strategy at Oracle, has the story.
In Other News …
It’s been well documented that most hiring managers are unimpressed with college graduates’ job readiness. The story is completely different, however, when you ask college kids.
Nearly 80 percent of college students say they’re “very” or “completely” ready to put their skills to work, according to a survey of 2,001 U.S. college students and 1,000 hiring managers conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of education company Chegg. Just 54 percent of hiring managers agree.
Also, want to get a job at video streaming service Netflix? Better get ready for this onslaught of questions Business Insider put together from entries on Glassdoor. Read them here.