The unofficial start to summer is finally here. So put on your swim trunks, grab your computer and read these top five stories from Talentmgt.com poolside this weekend.
1. Six Steps to Enhance Your On-Boarding Program: Don’t just give new hires your run-of-the-mill orientation. Use these tips to help set them up for long-term success on the job, writes Robert Hosking, executive director of staffing service OfficeTeam.
2. Why We Will Never Forget ‘The Office’: While the show tackled real workplace issues with honesty and humor, blogger Aubrey Daniels doesn’t recommend that leaders and managers re-enact scenes.
3. Is Applicant Tracking Software Rejecting Your Next Superstar?: Companies say they can’t find the right talent, while at the same time great candidates are getting rejected. Blogger Dan Bowling says software is to blame.
4. Dude, Where’s My Ride?: Offering corporate-sponsored transportation initiatives can help chop time and money off employees’ commute — not to mention boost morale. Talent Management editor Jessica DuBois-Maahs has more.
5. To Serve and Protect: Dollar General Corp.’s Bob Ravener: While no longer patrolling the ocean as a Navy submarine officer, Dollar General Corp.’s Bob Ravener is still protecting his people and helping veterans. Talent Management editor Ladan Nikravan has the story.
In Other News …
Business Insider profiles, through interviews with ex-employees, how Apple is so good at keeping secrets.
Also, mothers are the primary or only breadwinners in a record 40 percent of U.S. households with children, according to a study released Wednesday by the Pew Research Center.
Bloomberg has the entire story here.