1. Don’t get benched. Before checking scores online or participating in game-related activities at work, review company policies so you know what’s acceptable and what isn’t.
2. Take the occasional time out. If your firm allows it, enjoy quick breaks to discuss tournament highlights with co-workers, but don’t let these talks sideline you from other responsibilities. If you’re a die-hard fan, consider requesting time off to watch the playoffs.
3. Set up a game plan. If you want to take a day off to enjoy a sporting event, ask your supervisor as far in advance as possible so workloads can be managed. There may be many others with the same idea.
4. Don’t step out of bounds. Review your company’s policy and find out ahead of time if your employer is OK with decorating your workspaces to support your favorite colleges.
5. Be a good sport. Regardless of team allegiances, show proper sportsmanship in the office. Leave your overly competitive streak at home.